DIRECTOR, PRESS OPERATIONS & FINISHING
Hours: Full-Time, Exempt, 2nd Shift, or 3rd Shift
Scope: The position is responsible for directing the day-to-day operations of the offset pressroom and bindery, digital press and bindery, and mailing centers of the company, across the night shift. The position interacts regularly with individuals across the organization to ensure that the company’s press, bindery, and finishing operations (both offset and digital) remain profitable, efficient, and effective. The position also interacts with third-party vendors and maintenance to ensure the needs of the business are met promptly. The position provides ongoing direction to department leads in the bindery and finishing operations (both offset and digital). The position works to ensure that all related operational systems, production equipment, equipment maintenance schedules, repairs, and work processes are continuously evaluated for proper operation, relevance, utilization, quality, and efficiency. The position evaluates and implements improved processes, measures and metrics, and management methods to reduce rework, generate higher ROI, optimize workflow, and encourage innovation. The position will report directly to the VP of Production Solutions.
This position exists to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Leadership & Performance Management
- Serve as an agent of change, leading by example, exhibiting the organization’s FIRST Values, and upholding all organizational policies.
- Ability to establish teams and achieve an elevated level of associate efficiency and morale through sound management principles and applied practices.
- Define measures and metrics for all production equipment; include specifications from the manufacturer as a benchmark. Align with each associates’ performance and productivity goals.
- Define measurable performance goals for each associate and hold them accountable for their performance, including productivity, quality, housekeeping, and safety.
- Schedule and lead monthly team meetings will all direct reports.
- Schedule and lead monthly performance one-to-one meetings with all direct reports.
- Assist associates in preparing for the Quarterly Calibration meetings with the VP of Production Solutions, VP of Human Resources, and the President.
- Work within the TEAMS Performance Management Program, maintain all performance documents, and leverage the tools to drive real-time engagement with associates.
- Coach associates to instill sound judgment and a cheerful outlook which are essential to their success and growth.
- Coach associates for performance results to include mindset, behavior, and attitude concerns. Counsel with regards to policy expectations. Make recommendations for associate promotions, transfers, compensation adjustments, and disciplinary matters.
- Serve as a point of contact for associates to confirm questions relevant to the production cycle and to resolve conflicts
- Manages associate issues, communicates, and enforces company policies. Maintains positive and effective relationships with all associates.
- Review and approve associate schedules, overtime, vacations, and timecards.
Training & Development
- Prepare a skills inventory, skills gap analysis, and a performance management plan for each direct report that includes training and development objectives and performance goals (individual, departmental, and/or strategic, as may be applicable).
- Effectively train and develop associates so they gain an understanding of press and bindery operations, equipment capabilities, and both automated and manual finishing methods, do so in a manner where they can effectively transfer the learning to their work.
- Develop SOPs for the effective use and navigation of our operating systems EPace and Siteflow. Have associates evaluate/evaluate the SOPs and revise as needed at least annually. Incorporate SOPs into the department’s SOP library on the network.
- Develop SOPs for the effective operation of each piece of equipment, have associates evaluate/evaluate the SOPs and revise as needed at least annually. Incorporate SOPs into the department’s SOP library located on the network.
- Develop workflow diagrams for each work process, have associates evaluate/evaluate the SOPs and revise as needed at least annually. Incorporate SOPs into the department SOP library located on the network.
- Responsible for the planning and forecasting of the night shift press, bindery, and finishing operations (offset and digital). To include leading and controlling the direction of the day-to-day resources and operations, across all shifts and coordinating activities and resources with other functions and departments as needed.
- Follow priorities as established through the daily production meetings schedules.
- Review production schedules, available materials, and workforce resources, continuously each day. Make necessary adjustments to ensure production, quality, and delivery commitments are maintained and satisfied.
- Inform associates of production and material problems and coordinate with support departments to resolve problems affecting schedules. Resolve production issues that arise and keep management informed of issues.
- Analyze available production and financial data to inform operational decisions and activities. Responsible for the attainment of goals for productivity, expenditures, staffing, waste, quality, safety, on-time delivery, and customer satisfaction.
- Perform quality checks throughout the day and verify that all press, bindery, finishing, and mailing (offset and digital) work meets quality standards.
- Work collaboratively with others, internally and externally, to ensure customer satisfaction, improved efficiency, and increased revenue are realized, through the implementation of processes, systems and software, and equipment, which will generate higher productivity levels and revenues and lead to more efficient turn around on billing and receivables.
- Work in a team setting to ensure seamless integration and interaction with all departments across the organization.
- Interact with scheduling and/or department heads when conflicts arise or work prioritization changes.
- Stay abreast of all pressroom and bindery technologies, both current and emerging, to keep the company at the technological forefront of the industry. This includes subscribing to industry publications, attending industry conferences, attending industry training and/or certification, and regular inquiries into industry websites.
Equipment Repair & Maintenance
- Manage preventive maintenance of presses, bindery, and mailing equipment (offset and digital); identify and troubleshoot problems; create work orders and call for manufacture and/or vendor maintenance assistance/and/or maintenance technician, as necessary.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance schedule and practices for all press, bindery, and mailing equipment and in conjunction with the maintenance technician all facility PMs, such as baler or compressor.
- Evaluate the cost benefits of establishing/or maintaining maintenance agreements and make appropriate recommendations to leadership. Annually review all agreements and/or opportunities.
- Participate in establishing and modifying operational methods and processes by recommending changes in materials, equipment, and procedures.
- Create, maintain, and update a variety of reports, records, and production documentation to reflect manufacturers’ specifications, industry benchmarks, schedules, performance outcomes, processes, etc.
Safety Practices & Management
- Ensured that each associate is trained in all safety protocols applicable to their role. Responsible for ensuring each associate has a safe work environment and works safely.
- Conducts daily safety inspections of press, binder, mailing, and custom finishing areas and immediately documents and resolves any safety hazards.
- Serves as an active member of the Safety Committee, attends monthly meetings, and completes annual member training.
- Ensure that all safety-related policies and procedures are in place and enforced (OSHA, Hazcom, Lockout/Tagout, Ladder/Lift).
- Ensures that all required employment and safety training is completed for each associate in the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s degree, in Business/Industrial Management, Industrial Engineering, Graphics Arts and Communications, or related field, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Experience
- Minimum 8-10 years of related experience in leadership and management of a high-volume commercial print – bindery, manufacturing environment, with multiple concurrent projects complementary to the duties of the job OR demonstrated ability to meet the job requirements through a comparable number of combined years of work experience and education.
- Skills in verbal and written communications to effectively lead, coach, mentor, and motivate associates to achieve goals, realize desired outcomes, retention, and the strategic development of talent.
- Ability to effectively interact with direct reports, management, support departments, and other internal customers as well as external customers.
- Ability to demonstrate role model behaviors, including proper methods of operating and working safely around press, collator, and auxiliary equipment, and wearing appropriate PPE.
- Exceptional knowledge of all aspects of the functions and duties of the bindery and finishing production areas.
- Competence in MS Office (Outlook, TEAMS, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other related applications (Pace, Printflow, and Siteflow) ADP and scheduling systems.
- Understanding of print, bindery, and finishing process including prepress procedures, platemaking, paper grades, printing registration, color, and chemistry as well as collating, finishing, and shipping processes.
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, safety requirements, and skills to perform assignments.
- Skill to read and understand job specifications to determine materials needed to run the job successfully. Ability to read and interpret a variety of instructions in written, verbal, diagram, mathematical, and/or schedule form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Knowledge of equipment capabilities to determine the most appropriate use and corrective adjustments required to run efficiently.
- Ability to define routine and complex problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to effectively set work directions and adjust priorities according to changing business needs.
- Ability to prepare, understand and manage production records, timekeeping records, performance management documents and systems, equipment maintenance records, employee costing systems, and other documentation.
- Ability to comprehend and implement company policies and procedures regarding quality, production standards, etc.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with strong mindfulness.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Ethical Conduct
- Results Driven
- Technical Capacity
- Project Management
- Time Management
- Communication Proficiency
- Business Acumen
- Customer/Client Focus
- Organizational Skills
- Teamwork Orientation
- This position does manage others.
- This job operates in both an office and manufacturing environment.
- Both environments are temperature controlled.
- The manufacturing environment includes exposure to loud sounds from machinery.
- The manufacturing environment includes exposure to various hazards due to equipment operations and chemicals used in processes.
- The manufacturing environment requires the use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position frequently communicates with members of cross-functional teams, and internal and external customers. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Must be able to remain in a standing position approximately 70 percent of the time with the balance of time required interacting or helping with internal and external customers.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machineries, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Occasionally move about inside the facility to access files, office machinery, etc.
- Occasionally operations powered hand trucks and forklifts in the manufacturing environment.
- Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, and or ladders as needed.
- Regularly moves objects weighing up to 10 pounds and occasionally moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds. Periodically moves loads up to 75 lbs as needed.
- Constantly works in an indoor temperature-controlled environment.
- Regularly works in a high production print manufacturing environment and is exposed to various hazards within the environment.
- Hazards in the manufacturing environment always require the use of personal protective equipment.
- This position may require occasional travel and overnight stays of approximately 5% of total hours to attend trade shows, conferences, and industry events whereby YGS is attending, presenting, or exhibiting or to travel to additional worksites.
To apply, submit your resume to careers@theYGSgroup.com.
Note: This description is not intended to and does not create an employment
contract. Employment with the Company is At-Will, as the organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. This description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive list of duties, but rather to provide an overview of essential functions and basic duties. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform in the position. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted, as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by the manager, as deemed appropriate. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and is subject to change. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.