Graphic Designer – Publication Focused
Position Location: York, PA
Hours: Full-time, 8 AM – 5 PM, Monday–Friday
Scope: YGS Graphic Designers are responsible for the idea, design, and artistic direction of intelligent and compelling magazine design. We are looking for an inspired designer, creator, and collaborator who can work alone and in teams to create engaging publications for a wide range of clients. They should serve as visual communicators: maintaining the highest standard of technical and design quality across publications in both print and digital formats. Some additional non-publication work could be required as needed.
- Positively represents The YGS Group both internally and externally by delivering superior creative product, and by establishing and maintaining good relationships and solid communication with internal YGS clients (sales executives, senior management, marketing, etc.), as well as external client contacts as assigned.
- Collaborates with Creative Director, Content and Copy Director, Senior Art Directors, Art Directors, Account Managers, and other staff members to ensure all produced work meets and exceeds industry standards.
- Adheres to schedules set by Project Manager.
- Participates in telephone and face-to-face meetings and discussions involving clients and ensures quality and timeliness of creative content.
- Provides solutions to any issues with process.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Offers excellent typography skills.
- Clearly understands how photography and illustration enhance an editorial story.
- Is able to present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Reacts to change productively and handles other essential duties as assigned.
- Updates tasks in WebVantage, including logging time and closing out completed tasks.
- Sets up new job folders on the server and moves files to the released folder once completed.
- Is prepared for weekly meetings to thoroughly discuss current projects.
- Prepares work for print/digital production; completes document layouts for release based on YGS prepress specifications.
- Participates in print production process from paper selection to press check.
- Four-year bachelor’s degree in design, advertising, or communications is preferred.
- High school diploma or GED, required.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Has a minimum of three years’ experience in a Graphic Design/Publication Design role.
- Applies effective principles and techniques of design.
- Evaluates and demonstrates creative work.
- Establishes and maintains a reputation for innovation and creativity.
- Stays informed of latest creative trends.
- Maintain a knowledge of production skills.
- Applies the latest techniques in new media and technology.
- Is able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understands and applies text edits from clients with an eye for detail.
- Has a mastery of Microsoft Office products on Mac and PC platforms, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, and InDesign.
- Has knowledge of pre-flight and printing specifications.
- Is a flexible team player who learns quickly, can work independently, has outstanding prioritization and time management skills, has a proven ability to multitask, and works well under pressure.
- Offers excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as organizational capabilities.
- Is able to maintain a fast pace and work with a sense of urgency.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Position works in office areas approximately 80% of the time.
- Professional office environment requires flexibility in work hours with a minimum of eight hours per day.
- Overtime may be required to meet client deadlines.
- Potential out-of-town travel (currently less than 20%). Travel may be by driving or other commercial means of transportation (air, train, etc.).
- Needs to regularly move around inside the office areas to access files, operate office machinery, etc.
- Must communicate, listen, hear, speak, converse with, and/or convey information as needed.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer as needed.
- Position frequently communicates with coworkers, customers, and business partners to complete work assignments. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Environment is not regularly exposed to extreme changes in temperatures or weather conditions.
- Environment is considered to contain low-to-medium noise levels.
- Must see, detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate, and assess information as needed.
- May carry weight, lift (to a height of 3–4 feet), transfer, position, or remove materials up to 20 pounds occasionally, and up to 10 pounds regularly.
- Will use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, grasp, handle, push, pull, lift, lower, and position objects and/or materials as needed.
- Will use feet and legs to climb stairs or ladders, balance, ascend, and descend as needed to complete work assignments.
- Must be able to work outside normal working hours to accommodate production needs, when required.
For more information, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team.
Notice to All Applicants: The employment process with The YGS Group includes a pre-employment background check and post-offer physical and drug screen. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For consideration, candidates must submit a letter of interest, resume and portfolio samples and or a link to a digital portfolio.