Content & Copy Director
This position exists to perform the essential functions. The Content & Copy Director will serve in multiple capacities to support YGS client needs in the areas of content development and marketing. YGS’ client-dedicated team structure consists of specialists in content development, design, account management and sales support. While the position will heavily leverage the director’s experience in content strategy/development and marketing, primarily in the association market, it will also have management responsibility for all members of their assigned teams. The Content & Copy Director will coordinate with internal and external staff to facilitate assigned projects through the project creation and production process. The role will consist of, but will not be limited to, managing YGS associates; consulting; researching industry trends, issues and concerns; creating/editing content; planning and scheduling projects; attending and participating in trade shows and events; and meeting with clients. This position will report directly to the Executive Vice President of YGS’ Association/Publisher Group.
- Directs efforts for creation of compelling, multi-format/channel content that achieves marketing, publishing and sales objectives for clients as well as YGS.
- Oversees quality work output that exceeds client expectations for all direct reports.
- Conducts regular one-on-one meetings to ensure a collaborative dialog is occurring regarding associate performance and needs. Addresses areas of concern with performance assessments/improvement plans, as necessary, in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with peer managers to support the efficient and profitable completion of ongoing work as well as group and/or organizational initiatives.
- The following are the critical duties/responsibilities of the team members serving YGS clients. The director will oversee the performance of these duties through delegation to relevant staff and/or performing the duties themselves.
Researching and Consulting
- Work with the team to ensure clients have a positive experience with YGS as a whole and receive a product and/or service that meets or exceeds expectations.
- Advise clients of industry trends in editorial content, best social media practices, and current topics that are of general interest to both general and associate members of associations in order to direct content toward the widest possible audience.
- Guide the association through publication creation process, serving as not only an expert on the inner workings of their industry, but also as an expert in the association publishing industry.
- Work with YGS’s New Business Development team to support and facilitate the signing of new association clients.
- Address or research frequent questions pertaining to all aspects of the content creation process from all YGS departments and the association staff.
- Devises and develops relevant and timely content that is attractive to both advertisers and the general readership of the publication. This can be done by:
- Working with YGS’ internal sales team to learn more about content that entices advertisers.
- Reaching out to associations’ general membership to solicit information and/or articles.
- Selects and manages freelance writers and photographers with industry knowledge and experience in accordance with project P&Ls and budgets.
- Leads content gathering sessions and reviews audience insight and product/service differentiators to inform content planning and the development of customer-focused content.
- Develops content plans and prioritizes content requirements and deliverables.
- Clearly articulates and pitches content strategies to partners, clients and other stakeholders.
Scheduling and Planning
- Works with the association to develop an annual schedule, including milestone dates, conference dates, deadlines and ship dates.
- Researches events and tradeshows where a publication or other medium’s (digital, mobile app, etc.) presence would be beneficial to advertisers and/or the association.
- Develops a comprehensive yearly editorial plan containing content relevant to the time of publication.
- Educates and informs the association about how the content creation and publication production process works. Supports the team by reinforcing the urgency for clients and writers to meet deadlines.
Editing, Production and Design
- Edits articles for content and substance; proofreads articles for spelling, grammar, style and layout. Streamlines all content, maintaining consistency throughout the publication.
- Works with clients and YGS team members on design concepts and communicates with the designer to direct creation of an attractive design concept, providing sample layouts that efficiently use space and manage costs.
- Reads and checks page proofs in their entirety, evaluating text and graphic design to ensure it adheres to the production worksheet.
- Completes Editorial Review of each publication to ensure that future issues will be of similar quality.
- Throughout the project, assesses the costs of the publications and related projects, keeping them proportional to the revenue and in line with corporate objectives.
- For publications, monitors ad/editorial ratio by determining accurate page counts. Works with the association and whomever necessary to adjust the ratio when necessary by adding/removing editorial.
- After the process, reviews with the team to evaluate areas for improvement.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, business or a relevant field required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Qualifications (knowledge, skills and abilities)
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and manage time well.
- Proven team management skills.
- Excellent client service and problem-solving skills required.
- Experience with social media and promoting publications or projects on platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with knowledge of grammar/AP style.
- Ability to work independently while still maintaining strong ties throughout the organization.
- Ability to work comfortably with all levels within the organization, from entry-level to senior management.
- Ability to apply a variety of software knowledge to make all files compatible with production standards. Software includes, but is not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop.
- Ability to offer consultation/guidance regarding layout, graphics and creative design.
- Ability to travel occasionally to client offices and/or conferences and tradeshows.
- Collaborates and manages in accordance to YGS’ core values, which include operating with honesty and integrity, and in a spirit of teamwork and respect.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move around inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer/laptop and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80 percent of the time.
- Stooping; bending downward and forward at the waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles.
- Reaching; extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity; using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as picking up small objects, pinching fingers together.
- Grasping; using fingers and palm on object.
- Talking; especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas to others.
- Repetitive motion; movements frequently and regularly required using the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
- Average hearing; able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
- Average visual abilities; ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or data on computer screen.
- Environment is considered to contain low/medium noise levels.
- Environment is not regularly exposed to extreme changes in temperatures or weather conditions.
- Travel to attend YGS related events, conferences, client meetings, training, etc., approximately 10 percent of the time. Some overnight travel required.
- Overtime, as dictated by the needs of the business.
Notice to All Applicants: The employment process with The YGS Group includes a pre-employment background check and post-offer physical and drug screen. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.