SENIOR MANAGING EDITOR
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Managing Editor will be to serve as the lead editor on numerous publications and projects, working with the editorial director, senior editors and copy editors to support customized content solutions developed for client organizations. Growing in-house editorial department requires skilled editor and project manager to oversee the overall cycle of development and production on publications and projects related to specific niche industries. Competency in top-editing, copy-editing and writing will be essential to performing well in this position. Should have familiarity with both Chicago Manual of Style and AP Stylebook. There are no direct reports to this position, however, in this role the individual will work collaboratively with a large pool of external resources, including freelance contributors and ongoing contractors. Working in partnership with other internal and external team members, this role will be responsible for supporting the timely delivery of publications and other assigned content projects, adhering to a production schedule and communicating with collaborating team members on an ongoing basis. Management of publications and projects may include invoicing and freelance agreement oversight. This position may support the editorial director in a number of capacities, which may include, but is not limited to: involvement on internal corporate marketing projects, proposal development, and resourcing. This position works closely with senior editors, copy editors, publication designers, writers, and account managers, along with other managing editors, and reports to the editorial director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Creative or Professional Writing, Journalism, English, Communications, or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
- High School diploma, or GED equivalent, required.
- Must be well-versed in the application of the Chicago Manual of Style and Must be Mac-literate, knowledge of Adobe InCopy is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum 7 - 10 years of editorial, writing, and/or communications experience (or combined experience to include an internal position and consistent freelance work with references.
- Strong ability to project manage, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have experiences to cite where project management competency was applied, ongoing.
- Magazine, publishing or content management experience is a plus.
- Must be a skilled and comfortable writer, with writing samples representing abilities.
- Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation and typography.
- Must be comfortable learning new subject matter areas and a wide range of topics, ongoing, to meet the needs of client organizations and their projects or publications.
- Must be a good team player with strong people skills and the ability to adapt to changing situations and deadlines.
- Professionalism, ability to problem-solve, and a positive attitude is key.
- Must be calm under pressure and detail oriented.
- Satisfactory completion of copy-editing testing, is required.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Frequently uses computer/audio/visual equipment weighing up to 20 pounds for various assignments.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer/laptop and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
Notice to All Applicants: The employment process with The YGS Group includes a pre-employment background check and post-offer physical and drug screen. The YGS Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.